April 13, 2008

Markets Galore


As I walked out of my grueling pilates class in Notting Hill on Saturday, I was overjoyed to find blue skies and singing birds. I rewarded myself to a baked, savoury goodie at my favourite vegetarian takeaway, The Grain Shop on Portobello Road. I braved the crowds of Portobello Market and even scoped out some funky jewellery for sale that I left alone declaring, "I can make it for cheaper!"

I then rushed over on the tube to meet a friend for my first visit to Camden Market. Camden is located in the northeastern part of London right next to Regent's Park and the tonier neighborhoods of Primrose Hill and Hampstead Heath. I was surprised and delighted to find a whole subculture of rock, punk and goth alive and well once I stepped onto the main market street.

My friend and I spelunked around the many different off beat shoe stores and ventured through the many stalls of the Horse Stables. I noticed that the clothing stalls were mostly run by Asian (I think Korean)owners and reminded me a lot of the one off, cute wares I spied when visiting Seoul a few years ago. The prices were the best I've seen in London ranging from 5-35 pounds and the tiny stalls had a true boutiquey feel to them. Spring shopping beware!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.